Atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries
The content of the article:
What is atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries?
In the usual form of atherosclerosis on the walls of blood vessels formed cholesterol plaques. They gradually reduce the gap, which negatively affects the work of organs. Atherosclerosis developing in the coronary arteries, it is the same process, with the only difference that it occurs in a very important vessels and threatens the most dangerous consequences. In connection with this disease to the heart muscle receives inadequate amount of blood.
Symptoms of atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries
The primary manifestations of the disease it is possible not to notice, besides, they can masquerade as other diseases.Symptoms of atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries include:
- Pain in the chest radiating to the back or left shoulder;
- Shortness of breath that appears in front of pain. Sometimes due to lack of oxygen a person can not be horizontal because the pain aggravated to such an extent that breathing becomes impossible;
Attacks of vertigo;
Not less than 50% of patients before a heart attack occur some of the manifestations. However, they do not pay proper attention. It should be remembered that atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries can be very long did not appear, so after 35 years yearly preventive examination.
More serious symptoms should be considered:
Angina, which is accompanied by rare painful sensations in the retrosternal region. Most often, this occurs during exercise and emotional stress. For angina is characterized by a rapid build-up. With this diagnosis it is important to carry nitroglycerin, which helps to eliminate pain in a few minutes;
- Cardio – permanent ischemia is a catalyst for the formation of connective tissue, which gradually replaces muscle. This affects contractile ability of the myocardium;
Arrhythmia is the result of heart damage and changes in the degree of conduction of the impulse in the organ.
The causes of atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries
Atherosclerosis the coronary arteries may emerge due to two categories of reasons: internal and external. If you calculate all possible factors, they can count a little less than 200.
The most common causes should be considered:
- The use of animal fats in large quantities. It's bad because they concentrated low-density lipoproteins. The components able to adhere to vessel walls in which are formed after single or multiple plaques;
- Lack of exercise;
- Genetic predisposition – in particular, poor development of blood vessels, the propensity for arrhythmias and other abnormalities;
- Gender – women were less exposed to the formation of atherosclerosis. This is because their body creates estrogen – a natural hormone components that protect the vessel. After menopause, the situation for women changed to the opposite;
- Age – above all the risk of developing atherosclerosis in men aged 45 years;
Overweight – people suffering from obesityface atherosclerosis is 2-3 times more often;
- Addiction is a serious factor which leads to the formation of coronary atherosclerosis. A significant negative impact on the condition of the vessels has a nicotine addiction;
Diabetes mellitus 1 and 2 type – a disease in which destabilized all the processes in the body. Lipid metabolism will not be an exception in this case.
There are also family hereditary reasons in which the plasma is disturbed ratio of various categories of lipids. Genetic factor includes negative habits in terms of food. We are talking about the immoderate use of animal fats and other harmful products.
Diagnosis of atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries
Since atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries similar to the manifestations of coronary heart disease, the diagnostic process does not cause difficulties.
Apply several methods:
- Electrocardiography, including daily;
- Radionuclide studies;
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging);
- CT multi-slice type.
No less important is the detailed story of the patient about his condition. You have to enumerate all symptoms, including those that may not seem too important. This will provide an opportunity to identify the disease, which is accompanied by atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries, and to establish an accurate diagnosis. It was from him will depend on the orientation of the treatment course.
Find out more: the 4 most essential (medical) product atherosclerosis
Treatment of atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries
The recovery process largely depends on the stage of atherosclerosis. If the disease was detected in time, will be sufficient to use drugs that reduce cholesterol in the body. It is extremely important to change the way of life. This measure implies the avoidance of stress, moderation in physical activity and adherence to the principles of the diet.
- The implantation of the stent. If in the course of inspection it turns out that drugs and other measures are insufficient, it may be decided to expand the portion of the vessel which has been narrowed because of the disease. Otherwise it is called a stent;
- Bypass. You may need to bypass, that is, in creating a new path for blood flow by connecting portions of the vessel. This helps to restore normal blood flow to the heart. Coronary artery bypass grafting is carried out when revealed progressive narrowing of the main artery leading to the heart muscle.
Atherosclerosis of the coronary arteries is a serious disease, not to ignore the symptoms of which are very dangerous. To avoid complications, you need time to diagnose and not to neglect the preventive and curative measures.