Inflammation (neuralgia) of the sciatic nerve
The content of the article:
What is neuralgia of the sciatic nerve?
Sciatic nerve inflammation is a protective reaction to the action of the stimulus, which is manifested in pronounced painful sensation in the lower back, buttocks and legs.
The sciatic nerve is one of the largest that exist in the human body. He has a high sensitivity and inflamed more often. Its function is to be responsible for the movement of the lower extremities.
A nerve is a bundle of nerve fibers that are covered with shell, called endoneurium. Endometrii, in turn, is permeated with tiny blood vessels – capillaries. Underneath is a second layer, called – perinelli. It also has blood vessels, but they are larger. Each vessel is covered by a layer of connective tissue, it protects the sciatic nerve from different kind of damage, functioning as a kind of shock absorber.
The nerve itself is the neural tube, which is very dense, as also covered by connective tissue called epidermi.
According to statistics, inflammation of the sciatic nerve most often affects people who reach 30 years. From back pain suffer a quarter of the total population, and 20% of cases accounted for by the inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
In medicine you can also come across the term – sciatica, neuritis, neuropathy of the sciatic nerve or sciatica, which characterizes the same state. It is necessary to understand that sciatica is not a separate disease, but symptoms indicating a problem in the lumbar region and sacrum.
Where is the sciatic nerve?
Its origin this is the largest nerve takes in the region of the pelvis, in the lumbar spine. Its length is large, so it covers most of the departments of the lower body. Of the sacral branch of the nerve leaves the pelvis through an opening called – podkrucheno. Then the nerve runs under the gluteus Maximus muscle and divides into smaller branches, which penetrate all the gluteal and thigh muscles. In addition, it affects everyone in this areajoints.
Going down to the popliteal fossa, the nerve divides into a few large spikes. They are called the tibial and fibular branch branch. Through these branches is provided by the sensitivity of the skin of the lower legs and feet and all in the lower limb joints and muscles.
The sciatic nerve runs along the entire length of the legs, thereby and are caused by soreness across the lower extremity with inflammation and any other damage.
The symptoms of inflammation of the sciatic nerveThe symptoms of inflammation of the sciatic nerve may not be noticed by man.
To suspect the condition by the following criteria:
- Pain in gluteal muscle and the posterior surface of the lower limb. Pain is most often bilateral, but they are somewhat different. The more intense it will be from the other side, where there is an inflammatory process.
- Movement of pain from top to bottom. It captures the buttocks, thigh, Shin, lower back.
- Man is hard to straighten, especially if he leaned forward. When you tilt the pains become less intense.
- When you try to turn, the discomfort become more pronounced.
- The support on the limb, in which inflamed sciatic nerve becomes impossible. When you try to step on it the person experiences a sharp pain.
- Sometimes the inflammation is accompanied by bowel movement or urine output, which happens involuntarily.
- The body temperature often rises, but not out of bounds above 38 degrees. This symptom occurs on the background of the spasms and muscle pain. And rises the temperature of the body in General and inflammation in particular.
- Physical activity becomes possible.
- The skin in the course of the inflamed nerve is red and swollen.
Sometimes the person complains of muscle atrophy or their slow weakening.
Since the clinical picture is clearly expressed, the doctors are able to suspect inflammation of the sciatic nerve only complaints had come to admitting the patient.
Pain in the inflammation of the sciatic nerve
Pain can be of different nature, sometimes they are pressing and shooting, sometimes stabbing and pulling,sometimes aching. However, in most cases, paroxysmal. That is, a period of strong, almost unbearable pain followed by a period of relative calm, when she for a while is weakened.
Another distinguishing feature of pain in lesions of the sciatic nerve is the direction of occurrence of unpleasant feelings. The pain originates in the lumbar region and gradually goes lower, permeating the entire limb down to the toes.
If severe pain occur in both legs, doctors speak about bilateral neuralgia. This process is most painful to humans, however, it occurs infrequently. In most cases, in the second leg have such feelings as: small tingling and numbness, feeling of tingling on the skin.
In severe cases the pain just paralyzes the person. He becomes unable to move. Any attempt to transfer the body causing a painful spasm. The patient is not able to sleep, to turn around, bend over and even stand. It is caused by the structure of the sciatic nerve, because he Prinsen a huge number of sensitive receptors.
The acute form of sciatica is characterized by severe pain that harassed the man, not allowing him to lead a normal lifestyle. In the transition of inflammation of the sciatic nerve chronic pain be aching, in parallel, there is a sense of tingling and numbness in the legs.
Causes of sciaticaReasons that cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve, there are several:
Prolonged exposure in the cold wind, which leads to hypothermia lumbar region and sciatica. Often in the warm time of the year when the lower back remains open.
Frequent infection. Primarily these include neuritis that result from inflammation of the soft tissues that surround the sciatic nerve.
Weight lifting, excessive exercise, which affect the condition of the spine in General and the deformation of the muscular frame in particular. It all becomes a prerequisite for the occurrence of sciatica.
- Abrupt and awkward movement.
Low back paincausing degenerative changes in the entire bone system and leading to the clipthe largest nerve.
- Injury to the muscles or organs located in the pelvic area.
A herniated disc, which leads to a pinched nerve.
- Spondylosis, as the stage of degenerative disc disease, leading to the development of growths on the edges of the spine.
Stenosis of the spinal canal. Most often this condition occurs in older people.
- Growths on the spinal column.
Tumors, both benign and malignant.
- Trauma of the spine.
- Piriformis syndrome. Her reflex voltage causes a squeezing of the sciatic nerve and inflammation. Often this is due to failed injections, as well as on the background of sciatica lumbar.
- Gynecological and urological diseases.
- Birth injuries.
Pregnancy can cause inflammation of the sciatic nerve. This is due to the fact that an enlarged uterus puts pressure on it causing pain in the lower back and legs. Very often sciatica develops in the third trimester and increases with movement of the baby inside the womb. The symptoms of sciatica can present after birth, for 3 months.
- Lyme disease, fibromyalgia, Reiter's syndrome.
Arterial and venous thrombosis.
Poisoning the body with toxic substances such as mercury and arsenic.
Diagnosis inflammation of the sciatic nerveAlthough the symptoms of inflammation of the sciatic nerve in most clearly indicate the occurrence of this condition, in some cases they are disguised as signs of that disease. So doctors performed clinical and neurological examination of the patient. It boils down to the determination of hypersensitivity of a person to pain. For this the patient is asked to lie down and raise your leg without bending it .
If there is pain, along the nerve, which ceases when the person lowers the limb, it gives us the opportunity to suspect sciatica. This diagnostic methodology is called the test's symptom. Do not assume that this is the only way to determine the inflammationof the sciatic nerve. Doctors have a range of similar methodologies, for example, the definition of symptoms of Larrea, Fierstein, spondylitis , etc.
Indicative is the sample of Valsalva. The person close the nose and mouth and offer to create a forced respiration. The result will be increased pressure not only in the chest but in the abdomen. Pain in the lower extremities disappears, but there are other neurological symptoms, indicating compression of a nerve root. For example, disturbance of sensitivity on the part of the calf, the weakening of the knee reflex, impaired motor function of the foot or fingers etc.
Also, to help the doctors come such modern research methods as computed tomography, MRI, x-ray. An additional method of diagnosis is electroneuromyography, allowing to estimate the speed of nerve impulses in nerve stimulation.
However, it is important to not only determine that a person is suffering from inflammation of the nerve. It is necessary to establish the cause that led to this condition. This will allow effective treatment and to relieve the patient from the problem.
Treatment of inflammation of the sciatic nerve
Therapy in the first place is to eliminate the painful symptoms and inflammation. This person shall be appointed anti-inflammatory and pain medications. After the pain is relieved, you can begin to eliminate the cause of sciatica.
Often used physiotherapy, in particular electrophoresis, magnetic therapy, UHF, etc. are Also modern conservative methods include the use of the fixing belt, muscle stimulation by electric impulses, acupuncture, manual therapy.
If the inflammation was caused by infectious pathogens, the person shown antibacterial and antiviral treatment of inflammation of the sciatic nerve. When the cause lies in disease of the pelvic organs, it is necessary to eliminate the underlying disease.
When the cause of sciatica becomes herniated disc or tumor a tumor to avoid surgery will not succeed. So, microdiscectomy is an effective and modern way of getting rid of many pathologies of the intervertebral disc, causing sciatica.
The doctor who deals with treatment of the inflammation of the sciatic nerve – a neurologist, or a neurologist. If necessary, send the person to other professionals – a gynecologist, urologist, oncologist, etc.
Whatever the reason, leading to inflammation of the sciatic nerve a person needscomplete peace of mind. Bed rest is shown to the moment until the acute period.
The prognosis for recovery depends on the cause of the inflammation and timely treatment to the doctor.
Treatment of the sciatic nerve (medicine)
You can highlight several areas of drug therapy:
- NSAIDs. For the treatment of inflammation of the sciatic nerve primarily used non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The most commonly prescribed aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, Ketoprofen, paracetamol, diclofenac, tolmetin, dexibuprofen. In order to minimize the effects of oral administration of these funds, you need to use them during a meal. This will reduce the risk of side effects from the gastrointestinal tract, however, some may decrease the effect of anesthesia.
Should not exceed the dose recommended by the doctor, as this increases the risk of complications. A person may experience upset stomach, increased blood pressure, headache, drowsiness and other symptoms. In addition, the receiving only one NSAID does not affect the cause of the inflammation, but their long-term use increases the risk of developing stomach ulcers.
Another effective analgesic prescribed for the inflammation of the sciatic nerve, is Tramadol. It does not cause the counter dependence and addiction as NSAIDs. Shown when not receiving NSAIDs. Such a drug as Ultracet combining tramadol and paracetamol allows faster to achieve the desired effect in the shortest possible time to relieve pain.
- Steroid anti-inflammatory drugs. Also apply a steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, among which are hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, cortisone, prednisone. In some cases epidural injections of steroid drugs. They are administered in the epidural space that promotes instant pain relief.
- Antidepressants. To help improve sleep and calm the person antidepressants. They are used in combination with other medications and strictly under medical supervision.
- Vitamins. The obligatory reception of vitamin complexes that are able to accelerate the recovery of damaged nerve fibers and normalize the nervous system as a whole.
- Local painkillers. As a means of local anesthesia are used various ointments, for example, Voltaren, Nise gel,Nurofen, Finalgel, Delbene.
If you can not take a person with sciatica in the hospital, you should give him first aid on the spot. First and foremost it is necessary to lay on your stomach on any hard surface. Under the chest is to put a low pillow. It is possible to warm the patient with blankets. But it is strictly forbidden to attach to the inflammation of any warm compresses or heating pads, as this may increase swelling and increase the intensity of the pain. Then you need to call the doctor or bring the person to a medical facility on their own. It is not necessary to knead the sore spot or to apply ointment. All therapeutic measures are permissible only after consultation with the doctor.
Exercises for inflammation of sciatic nervePhysiotherapy is another effective method of treatment and prevention of inflammation of the sciatic nerve. It is important to exercise daily, which will allow to train different muscle groups and avoid pain in the future. The load should be gradual, as training, have to increase it. However, you shouldn't overtax yourself, the exercises should not cause discomfort pain and even more. Its goal is to maintain muscle tone, normalizing blood flow, relieve inflammation. Any set of exercises can be supplemented with other possible loads, for example, swimming, Cycling, Hiking.
However, it should not be assumed that gymnastics does not allow to achieve the effect. This is one of the ways to treat inflammation of the sciatic nerve, therefore, to approach it responsibly. It is important to work the muscles that caused compression of the sciatic nerve. Need exercise for legs, buttocks, outer and inner thigh. To start them is accurate. If you are having pain, you need to take a break and relax. In the case when pain persist or even intensify, should halt the execution of the complex and to seek the advice of a doctor. When selecting the most effective exercises, it is necessary to consider the presence of other illnesses, not to trigger their relapse.
It is desirable that the complex was composed of a physician or an instructor in physical therapy. It will tell you how you need to properly move and breathe. You can then begin to implement the exercises at home.
To performance most often recommended are the following exercises:
- Lying on your back on a hard surface, you need to lift the legs and pull them towards your chest,in this case, the hands holding buttocks. In this position, you must hold out not less than 30 seconds, then straighten your legs. Should be repeated at least 10 times.
- Remaining on the floor, you need to roll over to one side. The legs are bent and pressed to the chest, the socks should extend. Then feet return to original position. The number of repeats, as in the first exercise. If you run it at a fast pace, this will help to warm up muscles and prepare for further studies.
- Without getting up from the floor, you must roll over on your stomach and raise upper body as high up as possible. The leg is not bent. Since exercise is difficult to use for novices, initially, will be enough 5 iterations. They can then gradually increase.
- You need to rise from the floor and sit on the chair. The foot need to put crosswise. The back should be straight, and hands placed behind head. From this situation we need to turn the torso in different directions, should in General make 10 turns.
- Then from the chair to move on the floor while kneeling. The hands placed above the head, fingers linked in the Deputy. Of this position is to tilt forward with maximum traction hands. After the palms touch the floor, you can go back.
- After a short rest, you need to sit on the floor. Hands to raise to shoulder level and breed in different directions, and pull the legs. Then hands with a light springy movements are removed as before and back. Repeat no less than 5 times.
- Remaining seated on the floor, needed legs wide to dissolve in hand, then lie on your back, and limbs up. When you do this, put your hands behind your head. The blades pressed to the floor. Reaching feet to a ceiling need to reach a minimum height and locked, then return to the original position, then repeat at least 5 times.
- After a short break, need to get up off the floor and spread his legs shoulder width apart. One hand lowered and the other to pull up and bend in her direction. Then a hand swap and skew in the opposite direction. When you do this, you need to lean as low as possible. In General, the number of slopes equal to 10.
How to remove sciatica for 2 minutes:
Ointment for the inflammation of the sciatic nerve
There are plenty of ointments that are used for inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
They can be divided into five major groups, each of which has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Ointmenthelps to relief pain. Their effect is based on increased blood circulation, oxygen saturation of the problem areas. These ointments are a good help to cope with inflammation of the nerve, which was caused by the decompression and hypothermia. This group includes tools such as Nikofleks, Capsicum, Apizatron, Finalgon, Efkamon and others. The active substances can be both synthetic and natural origin (pepper tincture, bee venom, etc.). Ointments from this group cannot be used in children and during pregnancy, as well as the presence of wounds and other injuries on the skin. Should not exceed the therapeutic course more than 10 days.
- Ointment chondroprotectors. Effective for inflammation of the nerve caused by degenerative disc disease. The active substance, has a therapeutic effect is glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. You can select one of the following tools: Honda cream, symptoms, teraflex M, Sophia, Chondroitin gel. However, it is worth considering that they are pretty hard to penetrate the affected area, and therefore have a minimal effect, moreover, may cause local allergic reactions.
- Ointments for pain relief, which include NSAIDs. These tools are highly effective for sciatica, however, they should not be used without a doctor's recommendation. The maximum period of use of such ointments is 4 days. These funds can not be used in children, during pregnancy, in the presence of diabetes, stomach ulcers, skin diseases. Such drugs include: Voltaren, Phenylbutazone, Diklovit, Diclofenac, Fastum gel, first days without, ibuprofen, and others.
- Ointments combined. They possess both anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect. Enhance the regenerative processes of tissues. When sciatica is often prescribed That. This ointment can be used for injuries, swellings, and neuralgia. However, one should not use it during pregnancy, in the presence of diseases of the kidneys, lungs and heart.
Another group of ointment is a homeopathic remedies. Among them are the scars, the Goal So They can improve the metabolism in tissues, relieve pain, boost the immune system. However, the evidence base of the effectiveness of the ointments is still not fully assembled.
It should be understood that each of these ointments can still be purchased at the pharmacy. However, this does not indicate that their safety and the possibility of uncontrolled application. Before you start to treat sciatica, you must first consult a doctor.
Massage for sciatica
Massage withsciatica can be used for treatment only when completed the acute phase of the disease. Thus it must be performed by a professional qualified. Self-massage can be dangerous for health.
The massage is prescribed by a doctor and runs courses that are not effective, if you do not pass them fully. The minimum number of sessions in the same course of 11 trips to the massage therapist. For therapeutic purposes, the neurologists prescribe acupressure, which allows you to target specific areas. It allows to eliminate pain, accelerate blood circulation, improve the overall health of the patient, to remove all the unpleasant symptoms characteristic of sciatica.
This is acupressure will allow a targeted influence on inflammation, relax one muscle group and stretch the other, to increase blood flow to the problem area. Acupressure is used for inflammation of the sciatic nerve, is called acupressure.
Prevention of inflammationNeurologists claim that the preventive actions directed on prevention of development of inflammation of the sciatic nerve, capable of 80% to reduce the risks of primary and secondary origin.
Why it is so important:
- In order to avoid overloading of the spine and its injuries. If the person is not engaged in professional sports, the spine is not prepared to lift weights. One day, violating the structure of the sciatic nerve in the future, people will constantly suffer from bouts of pain. Therefore before to lift an unusual load, it's worth considering the consequences of such act.
- To avoid hypothermia lumbar region. The sciatic nerve is inflamed from exposure to cold air stream, and not from General hypothermia. Therefore, it is important to cover the lumbar region clothes and keep her warm.
- The muscle and ligaments of the back must always be kept in good shape. This can be achieved by doing regular physical exercise. This is especially true for people leading a sedentary lifestyle. Excellent allows you to train the muscles of the back for regular swimming and Jogging.
- From childhood need to follow the bearing. Need to sit with a straight back, so that it was parallel to the back of the chair. In addition, you need to avoid any asymmetric provisions of the back and carrying heavy loads on one shoulder.
- In the event of a suspected inflammation of the sciatic nerve or the disease it causes (infirst, degenerative disc disease and tumor processes), you need to seek medical help, not trying to cope with the problem alone.
Following all these recommendations, you can protect yourself from inflammation of the sciatic nerve and severe pain, which this disease process causes.
What kind of doctor treats sciatica?
There are two doctors that treat sciatica. This is a neurologist who prescribes pharmacological symptomatic therapy, and chiropractor, which eliminates the very cause of the disease.
Can also help the doctor-vertebrologist